Explolabs Consulting deliver services ranging from training to complete packages to the Ex industry.
For Plant and Mine Owners and Operators
Plant owners and operators are required by law to prevent fires and explosions in their plants by ensuring that potentially hazardous locations are identified, classified and fitted out with suitable explosion protected equipment in safe installations. Such equipment and installations must then be maintained and repaired or restored to their original, safe condition.
Being the first step in a chain of events, the classification of hazardous locations is a critical step in ensuring safety as well as cost–effectiveness. Companies cultivating the team approach have best results, as inputs from process, production and maintenance staff are required.
Documentation of results should include at least a description of potential sources of release of flammable product, the size, shape and zone of hazardous volumes, and the applicable gas group and temperature class (for gases and vapours) or dust layer and dust cloud ignition temperature (for dusts).
- Assistance with the classification of hazardous locations and compilation of classification records
- Audit of existing apparatus in hazardous locations (to verify compliance with SANS 10108)
- Guidance on optimal (cost-effective) usage of existing or modified apparatus
- Evaluation of new (to-be-bought) apparatus
- EXPLOSTOP (system for hazardous area management)
- Evaluation of quality manuals
- Quality system audits
- Awareness and technical training, compilation of in-house presented training courses
For Engineering Consultants involved in plant design and construction
Engineering consultants design and construct new plants under contract and are therefore responsible for determining the area classification; for specifying explosion protected (Ex) apparatus (particularly electrical apparatus and instrumentation); for designing the electrical supply to protect the Ex apparatus adequately and further to enhance the explosion protection of the electrical system; for having such apparatus and instrumentation installed by subcontractors and the installation certified for correctness; for supplying documentation covering the certification, installation, use, inspection and maintenance of Ex apparatus and installations; and for supplying documentation pertaining to the area classification, such as special operational procedures where manual operation is involved.
- Ex induction for engineers and technicians (typically 0,75 days)
- Assistance with plant classification and establishing classification records;
- Review of equipment list for technical and certification suitability;
- An Ex plant installation workshop (typically two half days) for subcontractors;
- A short pre-certification audit on the installation; and
- An Ex plant operation workshop (two half days) for the technical staff of the plant owner
For Contractors operating in hazardous locations
Contractors requires a basic knowledge of explosion protection principles, particularly with regards to Ex apparatus selection, apparatus modifications, certification requirements for apparatus and intrinsically safe loops, installation practice for Ex apparatus, safe working and testing practices, how to inspect and maintain Ex apparatus, safe repair practices, and legal requirements.
- Assistance with the selection of Ex apparatus
- Inspection of new Ex apparatus installations
- Awareness and technical training (classification principles, selection of apparatus, installation, inspection, maintenance)
- SANS 10108 : Classification, apparatus selection
- IEC/SANS 60079-10 : Classification: Gases and vapours
- IEC/SANS 61241-3 : Classification: Dusts
- SANS 10089-2 Classification : Petroleum distribution
- SANS 10087 series Classification: LPG
- UK IP Model Code of Safe Practice,
- Part 15 area classification Classification: Gases and vapours
- UK IP Model Code of Safe Practice Part 15 Classification: Petroleum-based products
- API Recommended Practice 500 and 505 Classification: Petroleum-based products
- SANS 10086-1 Installation, inspection and maintenance of Group II apparatus
- SANS 10086-2 Installation, inspection and maintenance of Group I apparatus